Differences between models 6-i series of iPhones
Posted by: 08.01.2018
Apple has a practice of releasing its line of smartphones in pairs or modifications, the difference between which can be traced in the technical data and geometry. This trend originates from 3-series models (3G and 3GS) and continues to this day, being reflected in the iPhone 6 and 6s. In this article we will try to understand what one gadget resembles or, on the contrary, is qualitatively different from the other.
Each series of mobile phones from Apple has its own distinctive features and the models labeled iPhone 6 or 6s are no exception. The presentation of the first took place in the first half of September 2014, and the second - a year later. Without changing the tradition, the event was led by company head Tim Cook. Not less than expected was the very content of the presentation, at which practically nothing was said about the technical side of the issue. On the contrary, all attention was focused not on the gadget itself, but on what its owner gets as a result of how his lifestyle and work will change.
If you do not go deep into the technical characteristics of gadgets, the eighth and ninth generation of smartphones can be proud of at least two revolutionary solutions for Apple:
- At firstgadget geometry. All previous series of phones from the North American brand had a virtually rectangular shape with rounded four corner edges. There are no sharp corners left in iPhone 6 and higher - all contour edges have rounding.
- SecondlyFrom the point of view of marketing, the bet is placed on the dual model of the iPhone, for example, 6 and 6 Plus. A similar principle applies to the generation of 6s. Basic and “plus” smartphones are identical in characteristics gadgets. The only thing that distinguishes them among themselves in one series is the size of the screen diagonal: for the base model it is 4,7ʺ, and for Plus it is 5,5ʺ. Accordingly, the resolution is also increased, but otherwise it is an identical device.
And the eighth and ninth generation of Apple smartphones showed excellent sales figures, but apparently they can be confused, since the main differences are inside the device.
Geometry and appearance
If we analyze this aspect in the company's policy, then it is quite expected that there will be a minimum of external differences between the iPhone 6 and 6s, which are sometimes difficult to determine at first glance. Nevertheless, it is still possible to distinguish a number of accents:
- Shell thickness. The new generation of gadgets has somewhat “got better” in this sense, but only on 0,2 mm, which is extremely difficult to catch with the naked eye, even if you place both smartphones nearby. This happened due to the introduction of new technology 3DTouch in the screen sensor.
- Housing material. In new models, engineers used aluminum alloy under the brand 7000, which, as stated in a press release, is involved in the aerospace industry. It must guarantee a higher resistance to scratching as well as bending deformation.
- Color spectrum. The new iPhone6s / Plus has the ability to select a gadget in color pink gold. In principle, this approach is also traditional for models with the index “s” in the notation. It looks a bit like a woman, but if other external differences are not noticeable, it will definitely indicate that you own a new smartphone model.
- New sensor. It uses the latest generation TouchID, which is outwardly and indistinguishable from its predecessor, but in practice it turns out to be much faster and more comfortable.
- More powerful speaker. The sound was not just louder - its vibrations became noticeably stronger, which is felt upon contact.
- New vibromotors. TapticEngine electric motors allow you to create body vibrations of different frequencies, from monotonous high-frequency pulses to strong shocks.
Dimensions, as you can see, remained the same (with a few exceptions), but the mass of the phone increased from 129 to 143 g for the base model, and from 172 to 192 g for positive. This weight gain, however, did not positively affect the battery capacity. In the new model, on the contrary, it has decreased almost by 100 mAh to the mark 1715 mAh.
Another visible difference is the content of the information application on the back wall of the case. It will be relevant only if someone even pays attention to such things.
Formally, in this regard, little has changed and the screen of the new series has received almost the same characteristics as the predecessor. The only really serious difference is the use of a new TouchID sensor technology, namely, the 3D Touch. This is a further development of MultiTouch, which has not developed since its introduction in 2003.
Its main feature is the management of functions depending on the pressure force on the screen. If, for example, a slightly stronger click on the camera's icon, a dialog box will appear with options for instant actions (photo, video, selfie, slow motion). A similar approach is implemented in relation to other applications (Twitter, Instagram, Dropbox, Facebook, Curious, etc.).
Productivity and resources
As mentioned above, the main difference between the iPhone 6 and the 6s is the hardware that is inside the gadget. To evaluate the indicators, various test applications were used, which showed the following results:
- Geekbench 3 - 2533 / 4339 points from the ninth generation against 1567 / 2747 of the eighth;
- AnTuTu Benchmark - 59267 vs. 49131;
- 3D Mark - 27795 vs. 17118.
The interface began to work much smoother, more comfortable. This is felt when the RAM is too cluttered. The hardware is really powerful, since even 4K video is processed without problems in real time.
The amount of RAM doubled - from 1 to 2 GB. A new dual-core A9 processor with a clock frequency of 2X1,8 GHz is used in comparison with A8 and its 2X1,38 GHz on iPhone 6.
Unlike the previous model, the new iPhone 6s easily captures video in 4K format with a frequency of 30 frames per second. In the last series, a similar video could be obtained only as a result of the formation of several photographs. New feature appeared at the same time with a powerful stream processor.
The changes also affected the resolution of the cameras. At the rear, it increased from 8 to 12 MP, and in the front, from 1,2 to 5 MP. The dynamic range of the sensor is greatly expanded, which allows you to qualitatively catch and highlight semitones, individual parts.
Also, the new camera features the LivePhotos feature, which, when activated, shoots a small video while taking a picture. Unfortunately, it can only be viewed on iPhone 6s - third-party applications have not yet been developed.
The new iPhone 6s has an updated Wi-Fi wireless access module, as well as the 4G / LTE module. Thanks to better technical features and a more powerful processor, the data exchange process is accelerated.
As you can see, the new Apple smartphone is still different from the previous one, mainly in terms of hardware and performance. Therefore, initially it makes sense to buy a new model, but whether it is worth making an exchange of the previous owners is a moot point.